View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

One of the projects that we undertook when I was in school was to take care of the City's Koi Ponds. It was a lot of fun! The Koi were quite spunky sometimes and we got to wade around in the huge ponds and clean them out. We wore chest waders and sometimes the fish would "bump" us. Some of them were quite large and if you weren't paying attention, you could find yourself getting knocked off balance and a lot wetter than you anticipated!!!

In the subdivision where I live, we have an irrigation pond system in which we had an algae problem until I convinced the association that one of the neighbors was dumping their heated water into the pond from their heat pump system. The association wondered why, during the off season months when we don't have irrigation water flowing into our pond, the water level wasn't dissipating and that the water had to be coming from some source. Keeping the water temperature higher than normal was creating the perfect breeding ground for string algae which is poisonous to some animals. Since the irrigation water flows through two pastures this could potentially cause a problem for the homeowner creating the hazard.

We had a two year process of killing the algae once we put a stop to the homeowner dumping their hot water into the irrigation pond. Fortunately, we have solved the problem and our irrigation water is once again safe.

Algae can pose a potential problem if left uncontrolled. It can damage your pump system as well as kill off your fish. It is also unsightly. It doesn't take much to keep it under control.

Good luck with your pond. They can be a source of relaxation! One of these days, I am going to have one instead of designing and installing them for others!!!

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (11-10-2008)