View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 01:29 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Summertime,
You are going thru something that those of us who have RSD understand. No one could possibly imagine the pain and life altering complications RSD brings. Like someone already mentioned, public awareness of this is definetly not what it should be, including Dr. awareness.
Going thru physical therapy is so very difficult, so painful. Do you have someone to drive you to therapy? I always took pain med just before, as it was torture. My daughter was in high school and took me and brought her homework to do in the lobby. I never let her come back to see, as it would seem so cruel to watch. There is a pain scale, called the McGill Pain Scale, RSD is way toward the top, I forget the number. I'll look it up for the forum.
I know we all are different in ways, but especially if there is a loss of range of motion, it's so important to stay with the PT. Obviously you want a therapist that is experienced in RSD and does no harm. I'm so glad I can use my arms now and part of my left hand. Please stay with it, if you feel you can. I got my insurance company to agree to an hour of massage therapy just before the PT. Normally, they don't pay for it, but they wanted to operate and I didn't want that-didn't know at the time it was RSD, but because I got it the day after surgery, I was scared of more surgery. So, cost wise, it was smart on their part to agree to the massage therapy instead of costly orthopedic surgery.
I'm so sorry, my memory is so bad, what part are they working on? I remember PT warming up my shoulder for about 10 minutes before working on it. I still use the long bean bag type thing you can put in microwave with velcro straps. They are about $10 at the mall. It stays warm quite a while and is penetrating. If fact, I just used it.
Summertime, hang in there, my Dr. just changed my anti-depressants from two double dose ones to Cymbalta, I can't believe how much better this one is for me. That deep depression I've had for so long, is nearly gone. Maybe being able to cry is helping, and maybe the counseling and adjusting to this life changing event is helping.
It does really hurt when friends, family aren't understanding and compassionate. Some people just aren't emotionally available and distance themselves.
Know that we all care and it's ok to say whatever you want. I think it's like journeling,
getting out your feelings and the pain you are in to us help. We are just glad we can all express ourselves to caring friends.
Hope you can feel some peace and comfort. Loretta
loretta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Summertime (11-11-2008)