View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Just the Honor!!!

It's an all volunteer force that builds the floats!

We are currently looking for local sponsorship to cover the transportation costs and think we may have that covered. The onsite costs are covered.

My partner has a lot of talent for design. In the past, she has won awards for ice sculpting. There is a local annual winter carnival in which she has competed in the past and has won several top awards. This has gained her team invitations to national competitions and even an invitation to an international competition in Japan one year. Due to an unfortunate injury, she was not able to attend but her team did take a top award for her design.

Here's a link to the site which will explain how a float is built, it will also give Taffy that answer about how many roses???

http://www.phxdeco.com/build.php

400,000+

"Volunteers - 16,000 individuals, from teens to seniors."

I do know that the day after the parade, the floats are available for viewing and one of the mornings, the floats are reserved for viewing by seniors and the disabled. That was in some of the information that she received.

As for what happens to all the flowers after they wilt? Dunno...but I will find out! I know that a lot of them are in water tubes and they are not cheap. I would think, cost wise, that they would be disassembled, cleaned and recycled. The flowers would be composted.

There are several, 5 or 6, professional float building companies, and several private companies who hire out to build floats for the parade. It's quite a process!

I am learning something new every day!

I will keep you all informed as I learn things!!

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (11-08-2008), SallyC (11-08-2008), weegot5kiz (11-08-2008)