View Single Post
Old 11-09-2008, 06:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I am a "pain in the butt" surgical patient. I have my SO take a laundry marker and write on my forehead that I am allergic to pennicillian. Someone overlooked that once and darn near killed me.

I write out all of my meds and what I had taken that day and pin it to my sheet in the holding area. I don't care what I have told the nurses. If I haven't spoken to the anesthesiologist that day, I don't give up my list until I see him.

If you have had Vallium at home within six hours of them "preopping" you, chances are you will not get anymore when you get there. Your surgery can often be delayed due to all sorts of variables. If you get really anxious or uncomfortable ask to speak with the anesthesiologist at his/her convenience. Keep asking, quietly but firmly. I have found them to be very compassionate and there is a practical reason for them to keep the patients in the holding pattern quiet and calm.

The holding areas are notoriously cold and the blankets are paper thin. I always take a polar fleece robe with me and refuse to give it up until they put me out. That's when they find out that I am wearing polar fleece boxers too. Age has it's priviledge. Best wishes.
Jane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote