View Single Post
Old 09-08-2006, 01:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I was just reading how CCK is one of the hormones that triggers satiety.

Quote:
I'm reading the June issue of Fertility & Sterility (thank you DH) that mapped out the various hormones and interactions in satiety and controlling food intake - from what I understand so far, PYY (along with other hormones like CCK) is released to signal "enough" protein has been consumed so you stop eating....it's released in the presence of protein (and maybe fat) and has been shown to cross the blood-brain barrier (leptin does this too) acts on the ARC of the hypothalmus to stimulate neurons that create a sensation of satiety and inhibits neurons that stimulate feeding behavior.

In the article it talks about human data showing that obese folks are not resistant to PYY but obese people have less circulating, which I suspect is due to too little protein in their diets when you consider protein intake is by weight not a broad target for everyone and anyone...someone weighing 300-pounds needs to eat a lot more protein than someone weighing 150-pounds!

PYY is present early - it's been measured in fetal development and the placenta - the earliest date examined so far was 9.5 weeks gestation...and was measurable through the term of pregnancy.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost....2&postcount=18

This might help explain why some celiacs are obese.
NancyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote