View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 08:43 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi and Welcome Islandgirl,
I'm sorry if you have rsd. You'll find so many supporting and caring friends here on this forum. I can't believe how much I've learned by reading not just present posts, but by going back and reading as much as I can, including introductions.
No, to answer your question, I have not had surgery since getting RSD. I got RSD the day following surgery to my left breast to remove benign tumor from deep in breast and arm pit. The following day, my entire arm swelled at least doubled and had Dr. remove fluid two or three different times. Next thing I knew, my shoulder was frozen. The surgeon sent me to Rehab Dr. down the hall and then on to physical therapy. It kept spreading on to the other shoulder etc.-full body.
To answer your question, no, I have not had surgery. I have skin lesions, red bumps that turn to dark moles. I asked my Dr. who is a neurologist, pharmacologist, pychiatrist, if he would take them off. He said no, ( his malpractice insurance won't allow him to do any procedures on RSD patients) He had just purchased 3 skin disorder offices for different procedures. He had to go outside his regular practice to a different insurance company to get covered. There are a lot of surgeons that disclose to their patients the danger of getting RSD from surgery. My daughter is a court reporter and has covered this issue in court when the physcian failed to disclose the risks. She does malpractice suits.
Others will answer your question. and the common consensus is the risk of spreading rsd thru surgical procedures.
Most have said 'absolutely necessary' only. There are procedures to do if surgery is necessary. Someone more experienced than I would know.
I know before I go to dentist, they give me antibiotics, and use numbing gel and nitrous oxide mask. Afraid of getting it in my mouth.
Take care, and please know we are a caring bunch that try to be understanding, supportive, and really want to help. Loretta
loretta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote