View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 01:05 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legzzalot View Post
He is concerned that the numbness is now moving into my left leg. He then warns me that I may begin to lose bladder control and if this happens come back immediately.

So as I am laying in the tomb of incessant noise I can't help but wonder what is the point? I mean if you find no lesions or 20, how does the change the course of treatment? And the treatments he is offering have a whopping 30% reduction rate. That is less than a 50/50 shot. Is it even worth it to subject my body to this?
So your numbness started on your right side, and is now how far up your body? When did that occur (i.e.how long has it been like that?).

Now your left leg is going numb ~ from the foot up? When did that start?

Sorry for the 1000 questions, but it sounds like the start of a Transverse Myelitis (spinal lesion) attack. Do you know if you have spinal lesions? Have you been thoroughly tested for any infection in your body; bladder, teeth, sinuses . . . anything?

Why so much testing? You already have a dx, don't you?

If they find 20 lesions now-a-days, SOME neuro's MIGHT recommend Tysabri from the get-go, rather then trying the CRABs first. It depends on how pro-Tysabri he is though.

As far as efficacy of the meds, you have to remember that the 30% (or whatever) is an "average" reduction of RELAPSE RATES. My neuro didn't feel that they were a very suitable option for me because I tended to have a low number of relapses, and the attacks I did have were confined to spinal lesion activity mostly.

As I said, that number is an average, so the good news is that there are likely some number of people who prove to have significant reduction in relapses, and others who have none. You could be one of the lucky ones . . .

Of course that doesn't mean the disease won't progress just as quickly as if you didn't have any, or had 5 relapses instead , but who likes relapses?

If you are intent on LDN, I would propose to him that you are prepared to try Copaxone AND LDN. That way he gets what he wants, and you get what you want; win/win. If you go that route though, it's worthwhile to introduce the two meds seperately.

Cherie