View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legzzalot View Post
It started as a small spot on my Right calf. That was back in August it then spread up to my belly button and now it is just under my breasts front to back and all the way to my foot on the right side.Then last Thursday (my birthday) I was shaving my legs when I realized i couldn't feel the razor on my skin from the knee down on my left leg.

They found 4 lesions on the spinal MRI and yesterday was to see if there are any in my brain. I have the DX from two different Neuros but I have to finish out all of the other testing just in case but they are both willing to bet money it's MS. I have never been in so much pain and so exhausted as I have in the last week.

the thing I am concerned about is the Grave's disease Dx from 99 and the Bipolar dx from 2004. I don't know how all of these are related, but they are all kicking my butt right now. And the 45 mile commute to work when you can't really feel the pedals is not a pleasant experience. Especially with my 4 yr old in the car. Hopefully we will get something accomplished next week.

He did say something about steroids.... anybody had any luck with these? he says it would be a last resort kind of thing.
Well, I guess that wouldn't be a typical "acute" Transverse Myelitis attack, as they often come on very quickly (both sides within a week or two). However, it does seem clear that your spinal lesions are causing this, which is exactly how MS made unveiled itself with me too.

There are very few conditions that present with spinal lesions, and it's highly likely they are on the right track with a MS dx. If they can find lesions in your brain too, it will be a slam-dunk . . . but for now they are looking for dissemination in space (neurological damage in two areas of the CNS) to confirm MS. They would be trying to take Devic's disease off the table too, which is like MS but mostly only affects the spinal and optical nerves.

Spinal lesion attacks are wicked, especially if they come on very quickly. Both sensory and motory nerves can be affected, and how high up you get numb will determine which spinal cord lesion, i.e. a C spine one, or a T spine one is flaring right now. So for instance, in my first attack it was my T6 (I think) lesion, and the numbness stopped mid-way through my breast on one side, and just above my breast on the other. When I had my C spine attack(s) though, the numbness included my hands, tips of my ears, vocal cords, etc.

I have always heard, and my neuros and doctors have fully endorsed, that "sensory" attacks would not be treated with steroids. Although these kind of attacks are relatively rare, most people I've talked to have chosen to try steriods because they "hope" they will help . . . but I have never seen the use of them change the outcome or time to recovery. For that reason, I didn't take them on the 3 occasions I've had these attacks.

JoeMac went through a very acute TM attack this past summer, and we walked him through it on a thread here. Please be advised that if you are a person who would rather just face things as they come, this isn't going to be a thread you will want to read:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...verse+myelitis

This spinal lesion attack you are in is presenting differently though, in that this has happened over several months. The only time that happened to me was when I had a tooth infection that I ignored FAR too long, so I will reiterate that you should be fully inspecting your body for any sign of inflammation or infection of any sort right now.

Cherie