View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 02:24 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thanks

Hi Loretta,
And, I too am sorry that you have RSD - it is quite something isn't it??? So much to contemplate and deal with. I must say that I am one of the lucky ones so far (my fingers and toes are always crossed) that hasn't had any spreadage and that is why I am so reluctant to surgery - even though I have been told about the precautionary measures.
The PM I see can hardly believe it, as do I. My husband has known about RSD for sometime now due to the fact that his closest co-workers son has been dealing w/it for over 15 years now and his is very extreme - he is doing the ketamine treatments. They didn't know anything in our area then. I also travel an hour to see the right professionals (as this area is "green" as my one Dr. I found said) and I am going to get another opinion or two before I go through with the surgery, if at all. I have seen both sides of the advice - same say yes, some say no, that they wish they never had and that is not where I want to be.
I appreciate you taking the time to contact me and I wish you all the best in your journey - be in touch anytime. You are right about the support here so far in 1 day it has been great - :-) Take Care - Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by loretta jewell View Post
Hi and Welcome Islandgirl,
I'm sorry if you have rsd. You'll find so many supporting and caring friends here on this forum. I can't believe how much I've learned by reading not just present posts, but by going back and reading as much as I can, including introductions.
No, to answer your question, I have not had surgery since getting RSD. I got RSD the day following surgery to my left breast to remove benign tumor from deep in breast and arm pit. The following day, my entire arm swelled at least doubled and had Dr. remove fluid two or three different times. Next thing I knew, my shoulder was frozen. The surgeon sent me to Rehab Dr. down the hall and then on to physical therapy. It kept spreading on to the other shoulder etc.-full body.
To answer your question, no, I have not had surgery. I have skin lesions, red bumps that turn to dark moles. I asked my Dr. who is a neurologist, pharmacologist, pychiatrist, if he would take them off. He said no, ( his malpractice insurance won't allow him to do any procedures on RSD patients) He had just purchased 3 skin disorder offices for different procedures. He had to go outside his regular practice to a different insurance company to get covered. There are a lot of surgeons that disclose to their patients the danger of getting RSD from surgery. My daughter is a court reporter and has covered this issue in court when the physcian failed to disclose the risks. She does malpractice suits.
Others will answer your question. and the common consensus is the risk of spreading rsd thru surgical procedures.
Most have said 'absolutely necessary' only. There are procedures to do if surgery is necessary. Someone more experienced than I would know.
I know before I go to dentist, they give me antibiotics, and use numbing gel and nitrous oxide mask. Afraid of getting it in my mouth.
Take care, and please know we are a caring bunch that try to be understanding, supportive, and really want to help. Loretta
islandgrl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
loretta jewell (01-24-2009)