View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member
Default Question about training adult dogs for service dogs.

I am a programs and services committee member for the National MS Society and we are working on a donation/funding program for service related animals.

My questions are, and it's probably more complicated than just one question, but how well do older dogs do for training as service dogs for the disabled? Are they more likely to be trained or less likely? Do they take more training or less training? Would a dog that has been with its owner be more easily trained to be a service dog for its owner than one from a shelter or a newly acquired dog?

Any input would be very much appreciated. We are looking at the possibility of providing some funding for such a program on a individual basis and need some idea of the costs involved.

If anyone has any starting places for me, please feel free to PM me or post the information here. I am located in Idaho.

Thank you very much.

I have also worked with a Golden Retriever Rescue Organization known as Golden Wings. It's a terrific organization.

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote