View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 03:36 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Please do not feel embarassed.

This is not your fault that you have this. I was crying when my mom first found my bald spot in 6th grade. I was so ashamed to explain it. But if they can help me I might as well tell them. The therapist is nothing bad to tell them. You can tell them anything and by law they are not allowed to tell anyone else about it.

Sharla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiouser View Post
You're not alone.

Like you, I've had trich since an early age. In fact, I also had a bald spot and hardly any eyelashes or eyebrows when I was in 6th grade. I'm 45 now and, while I still have trich to some degree, it's much better than it was.

I find I pick more when I'm either anxious or bored. It's usually just the little hairs around my hairline and my eyebrows these days. I also cant seem to leave things like hangnails or anything on my skin alone, although I don't pick until it turns into a nasty sore.

I did find some help through behavior modification exercises I did on my own (too embarrassed to see a counselor for it). Anything small and picky seems to work to distract from the self-abuse. Beads have been my sanctuary. I've also found something like a couple of marbles or some birdseed in my pocket or somesuch seems to help as well.

Hope this helps.