View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 06:10 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

We trained Bergie from a pup and so far she has learned how to pick things up for Jim as soon as he drops something. We're currently working on getting her to open doors but that has been harder. We're not sure if her age is playing a part or the fact that she just doesn't get it. For example, I taught her how to pull the towel attached to the fridge to open the door. She did very well on command. BUT, as soon as she learned it she kept doing it and if Jim had drank all the beers she brought him he would have passed out! lol

I have tried so hard to find a local dog trainer to help us but there are none to be found in my area who are willing to work with an older dog or have assistance dog training. If the MS society were to implement such a program I would be first in line to get that "professional" attention for Bergie if they chose to allow older dogs in the program.

Bergie is a great dog and can pick up the smallest items and not damage them. She is easy to train and I think she would do well with the right trainer.

Hope that helps. Dogs who have an easy going temperament are the easiest to train in my opinion. I have heard through service dog organizations that labs are one of the top choices, along with golden retrievers. Some german shepherds and believe it or not, sometimes doberman pinchers.

Thanks for being on this committee. Is there anything you don't do Cheryl?