View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 09:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Robin,

I'm so happy to hear that you were able to get quick timely treatment for your rsd keeping it at bay. That being said I understand what you are going through in the decision to have surgery. It was not one I made easily as I always believed that if it is not life threatening than those of us with RSD should never have surgery.

I have been in post-surgery recovery following a surgery in my rsd foot this past August. It was a need to do surgery!

During a bunion surgery in 2002, 3 screws were placed in my foot. I developed RSD immediately and they did not want to remove the screws for fear of further complications. The screws were ultimately causing a vicious cycle of pain and RSD flare ups. After each lidociane treatment, every 3 weeks, I would regain full range of motion in my RSD foot. That would place a fairly significant amount of pressure on my foot and the screws became loose causing more pain. (yes I'm the girl with a couple of loose screws)

To date I'm doing very well. 2 weeks ago I cancelled a series of 3 scheduled lumbar sympathetic blocks because quite frankly I'm doing better than I was before I had the screws removed. Following the surgery I received a 7 day continuous peridural anaesthesia treatment in Germany. Upon my return home I received IV lidocaine infusions, once each week up until the end of October. I am now back to a 3 week schedule for my lidocaine infusions, my pm dr does not think I should go any longer than that without another treatment. I still have good days and bad, feeling great one moment and than crashing with rsd pain the next. Despite those pain spikes overall my pain levels are fairly stable ranging between 1 -3 on average. I can't take most RSD meds due to sever reactions so I'm limited to Tylenol 3's and Ibuprophen I can't take anything for the burning pain, the lidocaine helps me with that. 1 month ago I started to take an enzyme called Serrapeptase and I have been feeling great ever since. I don't know if it is the enzyme or the intense lidocaine therapy my dr gave me that helped me turn the corner but what ever it is Í'll take it and keep it.

I am happy I went through with the surgery and had the screws removed (they were only able to get 2 out of the 3). I believe my quality of life will be better in the end despite all my fears. I'm happy to be seeing the other side of life and RSD post surgery.

I have posted my experience on other threads related to RSD and surgery, if you wish to discuss further please PM me.

I'm wishing you all the very best as you go through this and hope you are able to get all the answers you need to make the right decision for you.

MsL
Mslday is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
loretta (07-11-2009)