View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 09:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I was originally diagnosed in 1990 or 1991, after a knee injury and DVT from immobilizer. Initially effected my right leg and knee, I spent 4 yrs in pt, learned to walk again. The pain was incredible, it was burning, electric cuurent and sometimes felt like I was being jabbed with a hot poker. It swelled, turned pretty colors and I couldn't stand anything touching it. I went through many doctors trying to get relief, did Phentolamine blocks but didn't get enough relief according to pain doc to continue, tried lots of meds, Ultram, Neurontin, Klonipin, Nortriptylene, Trazadone, and every anti-inflammatory they could prescribe, but no one wanted to prescribe any real pain meds. Eventually I stopped everything and it went into remission for about 8 years, then last summer it came roaring back in my leg after another DVT, this time it has spread to hips and spine and lucky me I fell in August and fractured my scaphoid in wrist and am having problems with the rsd spreading there, it is currently burning some, though not as bad or often as my leg, it is mostly the temperature change and color change, my hand has been cold and I can't seem to get it and keep it warm. My skin is very dry all over my body, and is shiny on my leg, I too have experienced some hair loss on my leg. I am currently in OT for my hand and thankfully my PCP is willing to prescribe pain meds for me. I have been taking Skelaxin 800mg and Norco 7.5/325 for over a year, may need to increase the Norco. I have been trying to see a Neuro, but everytime they hear rsd they won't see me. I am working full time in Social Services, thankfully I work for a very flexible agency and it allows me to come and go, set my own hours and work from home when I need to, I just started back in the field last month, prior to that I had worked for 1 year for SSA as Medical Disability Examiner, what a nightmare, way too stressful which aggravated the rsd. I didn't have any flexibility there it was awful, now I can't believe I worked like that. I do the best I can, I use my cane when I need to and rest a lot. There is so much I can't do anymore, as standing and walking are so difficult. I'd like to look into SCS if I could find someone in the Orlando area willing to talk to me about it. Anyway I think I have tried just about everything, with little or no real success, even tried acupuncture and Tens unit which really set me off. Somehow I keep going despite the fact my doctor told me last year to go back on SSD, I was on it for 7 years prior to the remission, it took me 3 years to get and I just don't want to deal with it and wait that long again, so I choose to work, somehow I am doing it because I refuse to let rsd get the better of me.
sherimac is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote