View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 01:44 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default skin biopsy gold standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
there is something in your environment that you are reacting to.

I for one, seem to react to the nightshade family of vegetables.
When I have potatoes, for dinner, my feet burn ALOT.

By avoiding them as much as possible, I can see their effects when I do try them again.

I also have problems with fructose (just discovered this).

If you take an ACE inhibitor for blood pressure, that increases bradykinin and may cause burning.

You may have inherited a mito disorder (recessive for you) and you may respond to mito support supplements like CoQ-10 and acetyl-carnitine.

Were you tested for CMT? Vitamin C is now being tried for these patients.

All over burning is often reported with illness. I had a virus a couple of years ago, that was not severe, but I had terrible burning! This is because of inflammation.
You could try anti-inflammatory herbs like curcurmin and ginger to see if you have an inflammatory problem. A hint would be if you respond to NSAIDs at all. If they reduce discomfort for you,
then I'd try an anti-inflammatory approach.
If you have had an Epstein-Barr infection like mono in the past, I'd try some high dose l-lysine for a month. This would be in the 2gram range minimum.

If you want, you can PM me your current drug list, and I'll look up any depletions that may be happening to you because of what you take.
Thank you all for the remarks. I realize that even if the skin biopsy is positive we may not know the cause, I just need some confirmation. It is difficult, as you all know, to not be taken seriously when you look fine.
Mrs. "D" thanks for the remarks. I currently take an ARB (angiotensin receptor blocker) for BP and have for years. The neuropathy is about 18 months. I eat a balanced diet, BMI 24.6, exercise. The supplements I am now taking after reading the "stickies" are R lipoic acid, benfatomine, B12 (the methy one) evening primrose oil, Calcium citrate, magnesium, senior multivitamin, l arginine, vitamin D3 CQ 10. My Rx meds are the ARB (avapro), neurontin 300 mg 3X day (doesnt do anything) and will probably stop it,
menostar patch. Ibuprofen nor acetaminophen does nothing for the burning. Vicodin 1/2 pill takes the edge off but only really use it at night. Occasionally take Ambien for sleep if things are really bad. So far a hot bath seems to help the most. Doesnt make sense that hot would work but cold makes it worse. In addition to the "usual" tests (all normal) the peripheral neuropathy neurologist ordered the immunofixation...normal, immunoglobulin G 682 (low...normal 700-1600), immunoglobulin A 181 (norm 70-400), immunoglobulin M 45 (norm 40-230_, sjogren's anti SSA 27 (norm 0-99),
sjogren's anti SSB 1 (negative less than 100), Deamidated gliadin Abs, Iga 1.6
(norm 0-10), deamidated gliadin abs, IgG 0.7 (norm 0-10), B12 (previously done was 685) now the methylmalonic acid 234 (norm 73-376), homocystine 6.5 (norm 5-12), previously ANA less than 1;40, Crp 0.8, etc. Some days are better than others and I rack my brain to see what I ate, did, etc. and cant seem to find any correlation. Dont use diet soda's, etc., caffeine once a day if that much, dont particularly crave sweets so eat few, so right now I am not sure where to turn. Notice you mention Acetyl carnitine so will add that also. Any other thoughts from anybody? All appreciated.
sbvcrn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote