View Single Post
Old 09-08-2006, 02:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Well, my theory would be that fat is not being broken down properly which relates to a fatty acid deficiency and the pancreatic dysfunction. The pancreas can become overtaxed when someone has a food allergy or sensitivity. It can become overtaxed for other reasons too. But if the pancreas does not produce enough enzymes to break down the fat then a person may not feel sated after eating a heavy meal. Or, just feel that they are craving fat perhaps. But without enough enzymes to break down fats, a fatty acid deficiency could occur.

That article on pancreatic dysfunction says it "might" be caused by decreased CCK secreation. In the book Brain Allergies, Philpott and Kalita explain the disease process and how it effects the pancreas. They say that the pancreas first stops producing bicarbonate. Without the bicarb in the small instestines the enzymes that are produced will not work because the environment is too acidic. So first the pancrease stops producing the bicarb and this leads to enzymes being wasted, and then the enzyme production will faulter too, eventually. Max Wolf claimed that people after the age of 27 (I think) do not produce enough enzymes. Enzyme production drops off with age and some believe that without enough enzymes our bodies will age faster than if we had sufficient enzyme levels. There isn't much that happens in the body without enzymes playing a role. Enzymes are unfortunately overlooked when it comes to health and nutrition. And the pancreas seems to be neglected too.

I started taking enzymes with food and on an empty stomach because I realized my nutritional deficiencies have effected my pancreas' ability to produce enzymes (and bicarb). I think I lost about 8 or 10 lbs. without changing my diet but just taking the enzymes. Of course that is not the only change I noticed from taking enzymes, but the one that is most relelvent to this discussion.

People would like to believe that their body can handle the fat, the protein, etc., that we eat everyday but that may not be so simple. Some think that high cholesterol levels may indicate a problem with the pancreas not producing enough lipase. And the digestive enzymes you take on an empty stomach can get into your bloodstream to go to work on any fat deposits accumulating in your clogged arteries.

Using enzymes may sound like a simple solution that people may think if it were really that simple wouldn't we know about then. How could something so simple, so cost effective not be known about? Well, our healthcare system is not really patient directed. Healthcare is more about what the doctor can provide which is mainly what the pharmaceuticals companies can provide. If there isn't a drug to treat some problem then the healthcare system doesn't always recognize the problem as real or as treatable. And that is not patient directed healthcare.
orthomolecular is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote