View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb I have been thinking...

Your Avapro, belongs to a family of receptor blockers for angiotensin. I looked them up today in detail. I get no hits on "neuropathy"... BUT..

I do get reports up to 4% that they can cause rhabdomyolysis.
This is a breakdown in muscle fibers--
It occurs in mito disorders/damage
AND with the use of statins for cholesterol.

Rhabo can be mild or severe. But it always raises CPK levels
which can be measured.

It could be you are having mild mito damage from the drug.
Since this is not common...no anectdotal reports from PubMed
that I could find. However, the subject of rhabdo is huge.

Whenever a person has been on a drug for a while, and then something else comes up, doctors often do not look closely at the drug being used. It is sort of a tunnel vision.

from patientsville.com FDA reports:
Quote:
Avapro Side Effects Report #5754060-6
AVAPRO problem was reported by a Consumer or non-health professional from UNITED STATES on May 27, 2008. Female patient, 55 years of age, weighting 220.0 lb, was diagnosed with hypertension and was treated with AVAPRO. After drug was administered, patient experienced the following problems/side effects: body temperature increased, burning sensation, caustic injury, discomfort, dry skin, flatulence, influenza, muscular weakness, oedema peripheral. AVAPRO dosage: unknown. Patient recovered.
http://patientsville.com/medication/...de_effects.htm

from RXlist.com: http://www.rxlist.com/avapro-drug.htm
Quote:
Post-Marketing Experience

The following have been very rarely reported in post-marketing experience: urticaria; angioedema (involving swelling of the face, lips, pharynx, and/or tongue); increased liver function tests; jaundice; and hepatitis. Hyperkalemia has been rarely reported. Rare cases of rhabdomyolysis have been reported in patients receiving angiotensin II receptor blockers.
So I think consideration of Avapro, may be warranted, since you cannot find any other reason.
I also think a viral trigger may be a culprit, and viral assaults are hard to find and prove.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote