View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 01:39 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Just to give a different perspective, I had a spinal tap and had no problems at all...just a mild back ache for the day. Anything new can be scary, especially diagnostic tests, but just know that not everyone has a terrible time with spinal taps. It's normal to be nervous! Several people have suggested getting a second opinion so perhaps you can avoid it. That's a good idea, regardless.

Finally, let me say something about the number of lesions. I remember when I was first diagnosed and knew nothing about this disease, I was scared to death to find out I had 9 lesions on my brain (and some black holes!). But I remember several people here telling me that it's like "real estate"--it really matters where the lesions are. Some people can have a lot of lesions and very few symptoms or relapses and some people can one lesion and have a lot of problems. Even with all those lesions on my brain I only had a very mild beginning. That was 14 months ago and I haven't had anything new crop up or anything old come back. So I guess my advice is to not get too caught up in the number of lesions because as you are discovering there aren't a lot of answers to this disease.

Good luck with your spinal tap (if you have to have it). It's a stressful time so don't be too hard on yourself. Do something nice for yourself this week.

Natalie