View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 09:20 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I too diagnosed with atypical tn

Hi, I'm always sorry to see a new face here - not that you are not welcome, of course, - just that there is another person out there suffering with this demonic pain.

I can't offer much info except that I have also been diagnosed with the Atypical TN. My pain is way milder than anyone else on here I think, but when it hurts it really hurts. So far all of my pain is concentrated in my right ear and the immediate area surrounding it. I was told for years that I had an inner ear problem, but I knew it was so sporadic that it had to be something else. Thank God, my attacks are infrequent enough that I can still have a normal life. But when I do have an episode it feels like a big drill bit (the old kind with the wood door knob looking handle on top that you had to manually turn) has been heated and slowly boring into my ear. The outside of my ear is paniful to the touch and any movement such as turning my head, smiling, talking, eating, etc. causes more pain. Then as an added effect there are the intermittent "ice pick" jabs as well. My neuro prescribed the tegretol and said I could take it only when I had an episode. Well it takes about two doses @ 200mg each to help and then I am zombied out for the next 24 hours and can not wake up enough to go to work. Oddly enough, applying heat to my ear helps more than anything else. I am trying to figure out some sort of head band that I can attach heat bag to so I can use it at work. LOL I know that will look funny.

I seem to go for 6-8 weeks wthout an episode, then I will have about 3 withn a week. I just had one on Tuesday, so I am expecting the other 2 any day now. I also know from reading these posts that I am probably in the pre TN stage and can expect the worst to come later.

So sorry that your pain and others is so intense - I will continue to pray for all of you and that a new form of relief will come our way.

Take care,
Rhonda
Bassetcase is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (11-14-2008)