View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default Question about sprouts??

Okay, here's what I've been doing. I've been going to the Organic place that is no too far from my home. I've been buying the Broccoli Sprouts (they have 50 times more antioxidants than a mature broccoli plant).
AND I KNOW ALL ABOUT THE WARNINGS AND WHAT HAPPENED IN 1996 with the outbreak of Salmonella. I've read everything there is to read about sprout safety, how to wash them (in filtered water, etc.)

So I love these things. I buy the other sprouts too. The clover sprouts, the Snow pea shoots (or it sounds like this). I just take my poultry shears and snip them into my salads.

I do this for two meals. It helps that I LOVE sprouts and when you mix them in a green salad with tomatoes and splash of lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil, well you can go to heaven with just one salad. Not for everybody, this I know, but I adore this. Lost a lot of weight eating this way.

So here's my question. (and I asked this of the person who runs the organic store and she was no sure).

When you buy a little pint of sprouts (let's say alfafa or broccoli sprouts), DO YOU EAT THE WHOLE THING??

When I asked her she said "well, I don't think so, I think you just snip off the tops". I said "but then you are only eating half of what you just bought". She was not sure.

I tried asking this in google, but all I get is "how to grow your own sprouts, etc.".

Now on to my next question.

Would it be cheaper if I grew my own (using one of those sprout growing gadgets (I've included a link to one). To me, being that I eat sprouts twice a day, wouldn't it make sense to grow my own?

Heres a link to this gadget. (Anyone out there ever used one of these things.) There are tutorials all over youtube on how to grow your own sprouts.

http://www.sproutpeople.com/seed/kit/broccolikit.html

So I just need to know

1. Do you eat the whole sprouts or just snip off the top

2. do you think it's cheaper if I grow my own?)

Thanks much

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote