View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 09:47 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Two in my family only respond to Acetaminophen (i.e. Tylenol) and one only responds to Ibuprofen (i.e. Advil) . . . but most people can probably take either to bring down a fever.

If it gets up to 99, that's when you want to treat it. Don't let it get to 100 because it can escalate too quickly at that point.

Try one or the other (probably need 2 tablets, depending on strength of the dosage, read the bottle), and check again in about 30 min. If it has not gone down to "normal", you CAN combine both Tylenol and Ibuprofen if necessary to get the fever in check.

Next time try the other, if the first one didn't work that well.

Check your fever every 4 - 6 hrs, even when sleeping. You don't want it to get over 100 and sometimes you don't notice until it's too high.

Note the "max" daily limit on the med. If you need to alternate Tylenol and Advil (to the max of each daily limit), that's ok too.

If you start to vomit, you might have to resort to suppositories. I've never had to do that personally, but have had to with the kids.

You can get in a luke-warm bath to bring down your temp in a hurry . . . but if I recall that is not recommended because it causes you to shiver and bring your temp back up (or something to that effect). You need fever reducers, as indicated above.

If the fever doesn't break in a 2 - 3 days, I'd be getting checked for infection.

Hope you get it in check quickly!!

Cherie