Thread: SCS Trial
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 08:48 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Reed had his implant done on Wednesday! yaaay!! The docs office had told us Tuesday evening that he wouldn't be able to have it, because WC hadnt approved it yet, and they couldn't hold the OR without approval. I went to work on Wednesday morning and at 10:30 am reed called and said "come home now, they've just approved it and Doc caught an open slot in the OR!" so I rushed home, luckily Reed hadn't had any food or anything yet, and we got in the car and drove 1 1/2 hours to the hospital! His surgery lasted a little over 2 hours, and he has around 30 staples in his back. He's extremely sore, and a little grumpy..lol.. but he's going back on Tuesday I believe to get the SCS reprogrammed. His staples will come out on Friday or Monday. I'm just so thankful that everything went well, and he can tell already that hes getting relief, even though the programming wasn't the greatest due to him being groggy and lying on the operating table.
Now begins the good stuff! Doc says after 3 to 4 months, the leads will be completely scarred in and Reed can begin some rehab. He hasn't had PT yet because RSD isn't his only problem. Some of his pain comes from the damaged foot and leg itself. His doc says there is quite a bit of permanent damage to tissue and bone that the SCS simply can't help. So, he still has to be very careful of everything he does, because his leg is very weak and still damaged, and even a little stumble and sprained ankle can cause a spread of RSD.
Doc says he will never be 100% again, but if he can walk, he's thrilled and can live with being a little off..he's always been a little off anyway!
He may always walk with a limp, even a cane. He may always be on meds. But he can walk! It's amazing how many thing we take for granted until we no longer have them. i hope everyone is having a blessed day, and sorry for rambling on!
Rita is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote