Thread: Anaemia
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 10:45 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post
About five years before my first symptoms in 1992, I went to my GP complaining of being run down and was diagnosed with anemia of an unusual sort whose name I don't remember. It was not "pernicious" and it was serious enough to worry the doc. I had been eliminating red meat from my diet the past few months and felt the obvious thing to do was to bring it back. I did so and, much to the doc's relief, returned to normal.

I now eat red meat regularly and even crave it.
Rick,

This also happened to me. This runs in my mother's family so I am susceptible to this, and to add insult to injury, I was watching the red meat because of high cholesteral. My B12 dropped dangerously low and I became very run down. My first neuro didn't even bother checking the levels, but 2 years ago, when I went to the current neuro at Lahey Clinic, the first thing she did was send me for blood work. After the discovery of low B12, I had 1-1/2 years of montly shots and now take a supplement.

I've also said to heck with the reduced amount of red meat, and have gained back my weight again. I didn't have much in the first place, and what I lost made me look even sicker. I think I went from 150 lbs down to around 127 lbs. At that time, both my neuro and my PC doctor were concerned that I would wither up and disappear.

Now everyone that sees me remarks at how good I look with the extra meat on my bones.

John
jcitron is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote