View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I have a MACBook and I absolutely LOVE it.

I run Parallells - a dual platform with 4 Windows software programs on my MAC. Why? Because when my PC laptop crashed, I had just purchased two of these very expensive software programs for my landscape design business and neither one of them are MAC OS compatible. I also own WordPerfect 9 for Windows. I have never converted to Word.

It's a simple process to switch back and forth between Windows based software and Mac. They do run a little slower so when I am running one of my landscape programs, I tend not to be running anything else. In the beginning I was having problems with the landscape program crashing. Once I discovered it was due to having too many programs open at the same time, I just closed everything else and just run the landscape program. All is well now.

In addition, it took me a while to figure out where all my photos were hiding from me! For someone who has been dubbed "iPod stupid" that was quite a task. Now I can find things a bit easier. I just have to keep in mind that when running Parallels, it's a partitioned hard drive and I have to "open" the door and go look on the MAC hard drive for my photos and bring them back through the door onto the Windows hard drive in order to use them in the windows based program.

The biggest program is that the landscape program has no support for MAC users. Fortunately, there are a few of us who use the program on MACs and we've been able to answer each other's questions on their forum. Hopefully, with enough prodding, the company will eventually provide a MAC based program.

I chose parallels rather than bootcamp on advise of my computer guru. He has a MACBook exactly like mine and this is what he uses. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me. That way, if I have questions, he can answer them and he can show me what needs to be done.

Unfortunately, there is NO Apple Store in Boise so I don't have the luxury of walking into an Apple Store for assistance. Every chance I get, when I travel, I go to one for help. Those Apple Genius' are just that, Geniuses....talk advantage of all the free stuff they offer!!!

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AintSoBad (06-19-2011), FinLady (11-16-2008), wishuloveb (07-11-2013)