Thread: IVIG Brands
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 11:38 AM
In Memorium

15 yr Member
In Memorium

15 yr Member
Default Ivig

Hi - on the IVIG brands - finding the right plan to go with is critical (assuming Plan D?) - as some brands are covered under certain plans, and others not..... as Dahlek said - your doc prescribes the type specifically for you - so you want to be sure that it is covered... also, and very important when getting IVIG under Medicare, there are only certain home care companies that will supply infusions to Medicare patients as Medicare does not reimburse for the nursing, only the medication -opening all kinds of issues of just how altruistic your company is going to be as they absorb the cost of the nursing....... (if you receive as an inpatient in the hospital then covered under part B of Medicare - but that does include most of us with PN)

You also need to talk to the home care company to be sure they have a contract for next year with your drug plan - on the medication with their home pharmacy.

IG living is a good source - but you must then talk to each plan individually also to be sure your brand is covered..... another glitch - the catastrophic range for Medicare still means you the insured will have to pay a percentage of every infusion if you have drug plan D (if you have a Medicare HMO then all changes and I'd talk directly to them)... the catastrpophic percentage varies from 15 to 30% of the drug for infusion and does not cap out during the year.... there is usually financial aid avaialble from infusion companies - but they usually require you to sign up with them, pay thru the coverage gap which you'll reach in about a month - then apply for the aid.....

I also ran into my Drug Plan cancelling their contract with my home care company mid-year and was stuck - this is something that was unforseable to me - but again - IG Living may be able to help you with...

BEGLET is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Silverlady (11-18-2008)