Thread: Is this normal?
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I live in burning pain as well. Most days in fact since I quit smoking. Prior to that, I had burning mouth begin in June 2007.

My burning pain is in my head/cheeks. If you think it's horrendous, you're absolutely correct, it is.

Oddly enough, what helps me is heat. Hot bath or hot compress on the burning area. Of course, this would not be my first line recommendation for MS'ers . If you can handle heat though, worth a try.

Clonazepam is the ONLY thing that breaks through my burning pain I have. As I said however, mine's in my head (top of scalp to cheeks). Mostly on the left side, but it's definitely bilateral to a degree.

This has been going on (most recent attack) since the 6th of November for me. We're now the 15th. Last night I had to take 1mg of Clonazepam at once to break through this burning, then another .5mg later on in the evening, then .5mg at bedtime (.5mg above the prescribed amount). I was in rotten pain.

Today, burning is back, but at least I haven't had the need to dip into the Clonazepam quite yet. Some days I can take 1 and be ok, most days I'm taking 3 (.5mg each) tablets.

My GP doesn't want me taking this stuff, but it's the ONLY thing that breaks through my burning pain I get, and I've had terrible side effects on the traditional drugs to treat burning pain.

Where's this all lead to? Well you are definitely not alone Erin, keep that in mind hun. Sensory symptoms are the suck! I don't know if mine's resulting from quitting smoking (if so, well I welcome the burning pain because I'm healthier with a burning head than being a smoker) or getting the Depo shot (on Oct. 30th..and the burning began on the 6th of Nov. ugh... course, following quitting smoking Sept. 30, I had a month of dull head pain I dealt with as well!).

I see my neurologist on Monday to discuss my return to work on November 24th, and I have to tell him all about this stuff. I have this suspicion he's going to look at me and laugh and say "No way, back to the IV you go". I've been holding out since I quit smoking as far as going to my neuro about this.

I'll let you know how my visit goes, but I resisted temptation to call my neuro and get IV steroids or oral doses, because I know I can't use these as a 'fall back'. Plus I'm stubborn as heck. Clonazepam seems to do the trick, but it's depressing that I went from either taking a half to full pill of Clonazepam (.5mg max daily) to now up to 2mg last night.

I haven't taken any C today though. Burning is there a bit, but I'm toughing through it for as long as I can. It's not dreadful like it was yesterday, so I'm thinking eventually the slight burning may fade away. Let's hope at least.

Erin, I hope that your burning agony comes to a rest.
05/2008 - Relapse
05/2008 to 02/2009 - Copaxone
10/2011 - Relapse - Optic Neuritis developed
9/2012 - Relapse - Balance issues 1 sided
8/2012 - Erythema Nodosum - diagnosed 10/2012, reaction to Topiramate (Topamax)
April 7/14 - Raynaud's Syndrome DX
dmplaura is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Desinie (11-18-2008), Gazelle (11-15-2008)