View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 12:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi All,

I thought I would follow up on this thread since I've seen some significant improvement since I started to follow a few suggestions made by many of you.

A month ago I started taking an proteolytic enzyme called Serrapeptase after researching the suggestion made by Jolaine earlier in this thread. I chose the Serrapeptase because some research suggested that Serrapeptase induces anti-inflammatory and anti-edemic (prevents swelling and fluid retention) activity in a number of tissues, and that its anti-inflammatory effects are superior to other proteolytic enzymes. It is also suggested the besides reducing inflammation, one of Serrapeptase's most profound benefits is reduction of pain, due to its ability to block the release of pain-inducing amines from inflamed tissues. Because of the anti-inflammatory and pain-blocking benefits of this substance some are using it as an alternate to ibuprofen and other NSAIDs.

The brochure that came along with the enzyme I bought at a health food store claims the following :

Serrapeptase is thought to work in three ways:

1)It may reduce inflammation by thinning the fluids formed from injury, and facilitating the fluid's drainage. This in turn, also speeds tissue repair.

2)It may help alleviate pain by inhibiting the release of pain-inducing amines called bradykinin.

2)It may enhance cardiovascular health by breaking down the protein by-products of blood coagulation called fibrin. Conveniently, Serrapeptase is able to dissolve the fibrin and other dead or damaged tissue without harming living tissue. This could enable the dissolution of atherosclerotic plaques without causing any harm to the inside of the arteries."

There are many claims out there on the Internet made by the companies producing/selling this enzyme, most refer to a few of the same clinical studies, but it was hard to find the actual studies themselves, everyone just quotes the same source. That being said according to wikipedia "A systematic review by the evidence-based health care medical journal Bandolier stated that the evidence on serratiopeptidase being effective for anything is not based on a firm foundation of clinical trials." I believe they reviewed 34 studies to reach this conclusion.

Everything I read about this indicated there was very low risk of any side effects so I thought what the heck it can't hurt, I cleared it with my doctor and started to take it. Within a few days of starting this I noticed an reduction in the swelling in my rsd foot, an increased range of motion and a significant reduction in pain. So much so that my dr. & I decided to cancel my scheduled lumbar sympathetic blocks and I've been returned to my regular schedule of IV Lidocaine infusions from once a week to once every 3 weeks. While lidocaine infusions do improve my range of motion it typically wears off and I'm completely stiff by the time I'm due again for another infusion. Not anymore, I'm now able to walk without a limp and don't need my cane. If this is due to all of the aggressive treatments I had following my surgery or a result of the Serrapetasse itself I will never really know. I still get some deep cold burning and bone pain and need to continue to manage that, but it is no where near what it was. I've been able to reduce my use of Ibuprofen and Tylenol 3 quite significantly as well. It appears as though the scar tissue has also diminished significantly and my PT is now able to do full massage and traction on my foot. We were both amazed that she could touch my foot like that. What ever it is I sure hope it stays. I was originally only going to take this seappetasse for a month but now I've decided to continue on, why switch a winning team.

Patches, to answer your question I did have had severe reactions to medications, one made me neutropenic destroying my white blood cells and landed my in isolation in the hospital for a week while another gave me a severe case of tinnitus and partial loss of hearing, permanently. Over the past 6 years I've tried the majority of the prescribed meds for RSD and my doctors have had to take me off most of those meds because my sensitivities and allergies. That being said a good long hot bath is always a great way to make one feel better.

Thank you all for your help and support!

MsL
Mslday is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote