View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwild View Post
Yup, you can eat them. Just remember to rinse them well before sprouting to get the coating off them (saponin, the rinse water can be re-used to wash your dishes!) Rinse until you don't see the foam and bubbles. Make sure to let them have some sunlight after sprouting to get some green in them! Quinoa comes in red, white and black. The colors each have a different flavor if you want variety or try mixing them together.
I threw them out. I'll tell you why. I didn't like the way they smelled. I did everything that you are supposed to do when you sprout. I watched the youtube videos. I soaked them first (I used the Quinoa that had already been rinsed and had no pesticides on them). maybe that's why I didn't get the desired results (or I got the results but didn't recognize them). What I saw (I should have made a video so you could have seen what they looked like), well they just had little things shooting off of them. Now when I watched the youtube videos of sprouting, well in 3 days, the jars or trays were FILLED WITH GREEN STUFF. I did not see anything close to that.

And they wet in the jar (I did drain them well), but not having a sprouting kit, and being a first time sprouter, well I don't think I did it all correctly, so in my mind, better safe than sorry.

I wish I lived near a store that sells sprouting kits.

They have CHIA pets in my local CVS and I know that you can grow stuff out of a chia pet, BUT CAN YOU EAT THE STUFF?? I mean, are these sprouts?

I'm going to look up CHIA PETS. I want to see if that's a way to grow sprouts.

I wish I didn't have to throw out what I grew. It was only a quarter of a cup of Quinoa and I have plenty left to cook from the box of Quinoa, but I really expected to see a whole jar filled with sprouts. That didn't happen.

Have to do more research on this. Until I do, I'll just go to the organic store (they probably sell the seeds too), and I'll buy my sprouts already in the little packages.

By the way, do you think alfalfa sprouts are safe to eat? they are very cheap but I've hard mixed things about them.

thanks much

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote