View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwild View Post
Yup, you can eat them. Just remember to rinse them well before sprouting to get the coating off them (saponin, the rinse water can be re-used to wash your dishes!) Rinse until you don't see the foam and bubbles. Make sure to let them have some sunlight after sprouting to get some green in them! Quinoa comes in red, white and black. The colors each have a different flavor if you want variety or try mixing them together.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I am THOROUGHLY CONFUSED. I just went to youtube and watched a half dozen videos on how to grow sprouts.

All of a sudden I saw videos that put the seeds in trays with organic soil. I thought you put them in a jar and fill with water for 12 hours, then they germinate, then you rinse and do this two times a day for 3 days, THEN YOU HAVE THEM TO EAT.

What's with the putting them in soil? You can do both?

I am so confused I can't tell you. I don't have a back yard with soil so the only thing I can do is either do them in jars (like I saw in most of the videos), or buy one of those spout kits (which don't do soil).

So do they need organic soil, or do they need jars with water, OR.....maybe the thing is that YOU CAN DO IT EITHER WAY.?????

to me the jar thing is the easier.

Oh, I forgot to mention, when I started the Quinoa thing, I didn't soak them for 12 hours. I didn' know I had to do this. I think I used the wrong Quinoa also.

I am now headed out to my local organic food store and see if they sell kits (didn't look when I was there the last time), but now that I've read HOW HEALTHY EATING SPROUTS CAN BE, that they are pre-digested so ANYONE CAN EAT THEM, that they are low in fat, high in protein, cheap to grow and they are a SUPER FOOD, and I love them, so why on earth shouldn't I go all out and try and grow them myself.

To me, it's a win-win situation. I wish I knew this 20 years ago, I would have been sprouting myself to heaven. But then again, 20 years ago, I was self-medicating with ding dongs and chips and dips. I no longer do that.

It's amazing how the mind works when the lightbulb hits.

lol

Melody(the sprouting queen) lol

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote