View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 03:52 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi all ...

Hope all is going well for everyone in love & life.

Thought it might be time to post an update since I havent said much lately.

I cant believe that I am 60 and it is almost 6 years since I was diagnosed (New Years Eve is the anniversary) and started on Braintalk and now Neurotalk - I guess I talk more in person since it has taken this long to get to 50 messages. I can say that I read every message, paying more attention to some messages than others but ignoring no one.

Personally I am having lots of fun with various hobbies and worrying about getting our 2 young adults (22 18-drives) started. Would like to buy a small car but cant justify having another car sit around - perhaps after my wife stops working so the current Odyssey and Escape would be allocated to wife and daughter. Aside from house improvements my biggest current project is converting about 30 tapes of daughters dance shows to DVD with chapters edits etc.

For the first five years from diagnosis I went unmedicated with no problems but at that point the tremor started to become invasive at times. Neuro (head honcho at UBC teaching hospital) prescribed PMS-Pramipexole(Requip) of 2 * 0.25 - 3 times daily.

Seems more concerned about stiffness but for me it is tremor that is the irritation although repetetive movements on the right side are slower. Neuro tests are the worst thing performance wise. I did titrate up to the prescribed dosage but felt better at lower and have settled on half pills 4 -6 times a day. Stiffness would probably be helped at higher dose but it seemed to start having a detrimental effect on tremor -again not much different though.

Has the COQ10 300mg(from almost day 1) a day helped - I dont Know; but nothing from meds to curcumin to beans etc seems to make a huge difference. I can take or leave the meds, vitamins, supplements, sleep or not, diet - see food or not and nothing seems to make a consistent
difference. I have good and bad days/times but there is not really much difference in them. Possibly I am just accepting but all things considered think I am doing pretty well. Still run on the treadmill 5 -15 miles per week with no ill effects - just not very fast. Have to expand the program to include arm and core exercise!

I see the neuro in a April and can try just about any suggestions people might have for improved meds via my GP.

I steadfastly aviod religion and depression amongst other things and maintain a pretty good mood but don't let the good mood confuse you ... the situation has me ****** :-).

As my Dad usd to say and we put in his obit -"One day at a time, because today is the the only damned day you've got."

take care ,,, ken
KC Tower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote