View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 08:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Lori Lee,

Loretta is very right about this being a part of rsd.

Because of my sensitivities I can't take very many of the rsd meds. If I need to take an Oxycontin I have to go to bed. I can't function at all on that, mind you when I'm at the point that I need to take that I can't function either because of the pain. Needless to say my drug list is very short, with only Tylenol 3, Ibuprofen, and Oxycontin, each on a need to basis only. I rarely take the Oxycontin. I take calcitonin daily.

What gets me through this and manages my pain levels very well is IV lidocaine infusions 800mg (100mg bolus, 700 mg in the bag) over 2 hrs once every 3 weeks. It really helps with my "cognitive slowing" as well as a reduction of pain and return of my range of motion. I usually feel very with it after my lidocaine treatments, speaking quickly and confidently with totally improved memory. It's funny to watch me as the lidocaine effects wear off, like a battery wearing down, or slowing down a video tape. I to have to write everything down.

When I tried Lyrica and felt like I was going to go and jump off a bridge so I was taken off it very quickly. Each of the other drugs I tried gabapentin, neurontin to name a few.. each affected my brain function along with other side effects.

On a bright note since starting regular supplements of Omega 3 fish oil my cognitive functioning seems to be better. I still type many word backwards, mix up my words up in sentences and completely skip words as Loretta mentioned. The google toolbar Spell check has really helped me.

I know how you feel, it can be embarrassing at times but we each find various coping methods to help us with this. It's really helps me to get together with an rsd friend in person. I help a friend who has more mobility issues than me and we have a great time laughing with each other over our RSD brain freeze moments as we talk with each other. It seems that only someone else with RSD seems to understand, others just say welcome to the club assuming that it in because of aging, but they have no idea how challenging this can truly be.

I too hope I haven't discouraged you. I got this monster after surgery too and mine was an elective surgery to boot.

MsL
Mslday is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
llrn7470 (12-06-2008)