View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 11:52 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi. I'm back Stateside.

I'm a big fan of coconut oil. The Coconut Oil Miracle by Bruce Fifer gave me a lot of valuable information. He points out the numerous ways it can be extraordinarily beneficial, aiding in the absorption of foods and the promotion of function and healing in the digestive tract, actually lowering your cholesterol, boosting the immune system, and protecting your skin from infection, etc. He points out that people whose diets traditionally have been based solidly on the coconut have been incredibly healthy and gorgeous - early explorers were devastated by the magnificence of the Polynesians for instance, who had incredibly beautiful skin and hair despite many hours in the sun, etc.

He also discusses how the soybean industry at one point made a huge concerted campaign to discredit coconut and palm oil. One reason it is so much better for you is because unlike other oils, it doesn't transform upon heating - even olive oil degenerates and becomes potentially hazardous upon heating. The other thing he doesn't mention so much in this book but I have read elsewhere is that coconut oil seems to be unique in encouraging thyroid function, whereas soy oil and products have been recently faulted for causing goiters even in children. Since thyroid function is so important for PD'ers, this attracted me significantly.

For the past six months, I have been using it as much as possible, trying for at least 3-4 tablespoonseful daily. This is not so easy - I don't like the taste much, but find there are many things you can make with it that are ok, especially if you heat it pretty high to begin with. I make delicious pastry-like things with wholegrain flour and coconout oil - they are so light and flakey, unlike any other fat I've ever used. I've had so many changes in my body lately, it's hard to say what is what, but I did lose 15 pounds that I needed to and my body has been significantly reshaped since I started trying seriously to use coconut oil. My digestive problems have also resolved themselves. I also use it on my skin - not wanting to smell like that all the time, I melt it and mix with lemongrass essential oil, and that seems to work great. It is so excellent for protecting skin, and creating a slight envelope of healing warmth, which I think is great for PD'rs who have a hard time maintaining a consistent body temperature.

Every single person I have gotten to read the book I mention above, has been an instant convert. Be sure to get organic virgin cold-pressed oil. You can reuse it safely after you fry with it. It is solid below 76 degrees F, and then melts, but does not destabilize upon melting or heating. I love this stuff.

Oh, and no, I have nothing to do with selling it, nor apparently does Mr. Fifer who wrote the book.
Fiona is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote