View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 01:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Atypical TN Too

My dentist diagnosed my ATN, after my MS diagnosis. My neuro didn't see anything in the MRI to cause the pain in my ear/jaw, so she sent me to a head & neck/ENT doc, who said I had TMG and sent me to the dentist.

My pain is similar to Bassetcase, any touch of the ear can send me through the roof. My ear aches, though I can tell the pain is not in the ear itself. It feels like someone has put a needle and thread through my eardrum and is pulling on the needle, then hitting my ear with an iron pan. My pain doesn't come and go in moments or hours, but is non-stop for days or weeks. Some days the pain isn't too bad, and then there are days like today, where wearing headphones to transcribe dictation is almost beyond endurance.

I can also get pains in my upper jaw/teeth, though I have nothing wrong with my teeth, and wear a night guard so I know it's not TMG pain. I even get pains behind my eyes and down my neck. It is worse on my right side and getting worse, and now progressing on my left side. I have trouble sleeping, because I can't rest my head on my right side. I don't know what I'm going to do when both sides kick into high gear at the same time

I don't know how unusual it is to have TN/ATN with MS, but if someone can have atypical anything, its me. I generally break with averages: average disease courses, or respond to average treatment in the average way. I guess I'm just above average Still working on meditation with this pain. It works for migraine, but so far, not for this.

I'm still walking upright and six feet above ground.
Catch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (11-25-2008)