View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 03:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default gabapentin & Lyrica

I have CRPS type II due to a venipuncture nerve injury to my right arm that occurred 3+ years ago. In that time, my CRPS has spread to the entire left side of my body, and has worsened in severity.

I've been taking 600 mg gabapentin 3X a day, with the usual side effects ("brain fog", slow metabolism, fatigue), including weight gain of 30 pounds the first year, and no weight gain since then. I often have finding the correct words to say, which I think is called aphasia.

About 8-9 months ago, while under the care of my regular neurologist, my pain was no longer under control and I couldn't sleep, and I found a wonderful new pain doc. He often recommends combining gabapentin and Lyrica, and put me on 60 mg/day Lyrica (before bed) in addition to the 1800 mg/day gabapentin.

The combination has worked well to keep the pain in check most of the time, and also has helped greatly with sleeping. Since I take the Lyrica only before bed and I was already taking so much gabapentin, I did not notice any increased side effects compared to Lyrica alone.

Lyrica is an antidepressant, not an anticonvulsant, and the mechanism of action is very different than gabapentin.
Annie Poo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote