Thread: PCS and flying.
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 07:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi, I had a concussion 3 years ago and suffer from TBI.....I flew the first of November for the first time since the concussion. I flew from Atlanta Georgia to Southern California...a long flight. I was very nervous about flying.

I went to my vestibular doctor who recommended the following:

Earplanes - ear plugs for flying....they really work!!! I didn't have any problems with pain in my ears while wearing them....You can get them at your local drug store or Walmart. They were less that $5.00 a pair.

Seabands - wrist bands - I didn't buy these, didn't need them, though I understand they really work. They are wrist bands that have a little ball when you feel Nauseated, press the ball to your wrist and helps with Nausea. You can also pick these up at your local drug store. Most airports also sell them for double, triple the price of the drug store though.

Valium - I took 1/2 of a 5 mg the night before my flight (I have a really low tolerance to meds) my doctor recommended one 5 mg night before, day of and day after flying...the 1/2 of 5 mg worked for me and I didn't have to take anymore.

I did fly with someone, which helped me be able for maneuver through the crowds etc at the airport....

I was really proud of myself, I did OK - not great but I did OK and I DID IT!!!

Of course, talk with your doctor.

I also have "On the Level" quarterly newsletter for Vetibular Disorders Association, Winter 2008 Vol. 25, No. 1. It's a newsletter that gives a lot of useful information and ths issue is for Travel and Vestibular Disorders.

I don't know if you can get it on line, but if you are interested, I can scan it and email it to you.

Melek
melek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
vini (11-19-2008)