View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 02:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronhutton View Post
Hi jcitron,
My experience has been exactly yours.
I used to be short sighted, and I know you go more long sighted as you grow older. This has happened, and I can even drive without my specs now. However, I used to be able to read the smallest print without glasses, but no more. I have lost the ability to read small print catastrophically in a very short time.
I believe this coincided with starting Mirapex 18 months ago. I have a PD friend who suffered exactly the same on Mirapex and changed to cabergoline. You don't say what meds you are on, but what agonist are you taking?
Ron
Hi Ron,

I am taking no agonists at this time. I'm on Sinemet, Amantadine, Citalopram, and Lodosyn. I noticed this was one of the side-effects when I was taking Mirapex, and when I stopped taking it the problem had initially gone away for a bit. It's now everything seems to be worse, and this is now two years later.

This was like all of a sudden I couldn't see small things anymore, and at first I figured that I needed new glasses and went to an opthomologist to have my eyes checked. The reason I chose and opthomologist is I also wanted to have my pressure checked for Glaucoma at the same time because this runs in my mom's family. My great grandfather went blind from it, my cousin has it, and my grandmother had it. The pressure was normal, but the double-vision was worse and so was my vision.

The glasses worked great for about 4 months, then I saw the doctor again for a follow-up and he was dismayed at the decline in my vision. The double-vision isn't helped anymore by the new prisms, and my left eye is worse. You could see his broad shoulders slouch with disappointment.

The other thing too, which I neglected to mention is going from light to dark or dark to light is a killer. This not only makes the eyes ache, but it takes what seems like forever for the them to adjust to the difference. I was blaming this on being a geek and hanging in front of computers for too long of periods, but this doesn't see to be the case. The darkness is pretty scary. I almost fell down my front stairs the other day. I was going out with my brother, who was driving and I went from the bright porch to the darker steps. I couldn't see the end of one of the steps and nearly went off. What caught me was the railing I was gripping on to with a death grip.

I see my neuro in a couple of weeks so I'll add this to my check-list of questions to ask because she's great at explaining things. I've read different things on the web, but a lot of it is written in "scientist" and "doctor" and it's difficult to understand.

John
jcitron is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote