View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 03:36 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin524 View Post
Fox News was just making a big deal about how ALL THREE execs from the Big Three arrived in D.C. on separate private jets.

These guys could have saved a lot of the American auto industry's money if they'd carpooled in one of the cars they make, or they could have taken a bus...or even if they'd flown in the public transportation of the sky. (in coach!)

Nope, they probably had to have their own private bathrooms that none of the "unwashed masses" have used.
You know while I agree that certain things are excessive this is horrfically excessive its also a classic case of the media blowing things out of proportion and manipulating the news.

Should they have been smarter about the jets sure but I have another opinion that many will not agree with me on. But in my business I see CEOs and jets all the time and the amount of work that gets done on those jets is far more efficient than having them stand in line at an airport for two hours especially baed on what they get paid per hour.

And based on what they get paid I want those guys working 24/7 to solve these problems.

That does not mean that I think things are ok as is. There has to be massive change and the unions are not willing to change. And chage is hard to swallow. BUt that means the automakers have to be willing to give concessions as does the unions. And right now the unions do not see the forest through the trees.

So sure let them go bankrupt. Then what will the unions do when all their rank and file are unemployed?

Its unfortunate that the people that will really suffer through this will be the regular people, not upper management and not union management.

And you think the foreign autos are fine? Not by any measure. So goes the domestic autos and in time so go will go the foreign. Its like the tide and boats. They will all rise and fall together just maybe not as far. Foreign sales are down right now 30-40%, how long can that go on before they start cutting those $40 an hour American workers too. Right now the foreign automakers are privately panicking.

I certainly am for reform and absolutely want accountability all the way up the ladder.

But I am terrified of the ripple effect. Some parts of the country may be booming right now but this will affect the whole country and I just hope that we are not being shortsided with our lynch mob mentality right now. We need all these people to work hard to solve these problems.

Last edited by watsonsh; 11-19-2008 at 03:54 PM.
watsonsh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
4boysmom (11-19-2008), Aarcyn (11-20-2008), ewizabeth (11-19-2008), Kitty (11-19-2008), soxmom (11-20-2008), thecatsmeow (12-03-2008), wkikta (11-20-2008)