View Single Post
Old 11-21-2006, 11:59 PM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Zayne,

I wish you could watch his shows, although I am convinced that Cesar has a special gift and that he being present on the scene makes a big difference. I swear he communicates on some spiritual plane with those dogs!

The leash on in the house does sound like a very good idea and may be necessary to teach him what is not allowed. Cesar gives a quick pull on the leash with a "chsh" sound to let the dogs know of unacceptable behaviour. What he would do is put the pillow in front of the dog, wait for the dog to go for it, and 'correct' him at the first sign of a lunge for it. Then he would repeat the lesson until the dog understood it was off limits, and made no attempt to go for it. Of course, underlying is that your dog needs to know YOU are the pack leader, and he gives some lessons on that as well.

You may need to spend some inside time with him, training him on leash, correcting him as he does wrong things...even if you have to tempt him a bit to be naughty... like throw the pillow in front of him. And I agree that you need to have some of his own toys/chewies in the house. Our vet is pretty much against rawhides and pig ears and such because they've done to many surgeries to remove obstructions... and our Golden would accept a few Nylabone type toys.

I hope you can find the video of Cesar. I wonder if you can get them at the local library? There are a few short clips available on the Internet. I haven't tried these yet, but hopefully there may be one or two of some substance.

I also have to share this. My twenty something kids hadn't seen the Dog Whisperer, but they had seen the SouthPark version of it. SouthPark is not so much my thing, but I couldn't help but be a little bit amused by this episode where they called in The Dog Whisperer to train a child when Super Nanny failed. Before they found the clip, they could only describe it...and we just had a good laugh. This is just a clip. Only view it if you can 'handle' SouthPark humor. You can find the entire episode on the Internet somewhere...but this clip shows enough.

Cara

Last edited by jccgf; 11-22-2006 at 12:06 AM.
jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote