View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 05:14 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Fusion complications

I'm wondering if anyone out the can help me.
Last Thursday (Nov 13) I underwent a 1 level spinal fusion to L5/S1 with a graft taken from my hip. All went well with the operation until the surgeon bumped the retractor holding back my S1 nerve bundle with the grafting cage. This caused the S1 nerve to be severed and I lost a 4mm section of the nerve ending. The surgeon was very upfront about what had happened which I appreciated but my problem now is that I have unbearable nerve pain in my left leg with numbness from my knee down on the out side of my leg and a complete lack of feeling in my left foot. I am unable to sit without excruciating pain, my left leg will not hold my weight at all and I am walking using crutches. I am using very strong morphine based painkillers which concerns me but at the moment I have no choice. No one seems to be able to tell me what my long term prognosis will be. I have researched on the net but have only managed to horrify myself! Does anyone have ANY idea as to what I can expect, what therapies may help with the leg weakness, time of recovery, whether recovery will be total or partial - any comments/experiences will help immensely! I am a very positive and determined person but its hard going when you have no information to base your confidence on. I can only deal with what I know and right now I know zip!! I would welcome any and all thoughts.

Thanks
Amanda T
Huntly NZ
amandat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote