View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 05:51 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi Dakotasmum

You sound exactly what I was like 7 years, 4 months and a few weeks ago! STOP trying to go to work and carrying on as usual. REST NOW, see a psychologist and get diagnosed. I kept going back to an emergency dr telling him how I felt and all he did was say that he once worked for an insurance company and knew about people like me. I was devasted and kept going to work full time as a legal executive doing subdivisions and sales of land, trust etc. - goodness knows what mistakes I made in that time - it was all done in a big fog of pain and tiredness like nothing on earth. My empolyer thought I was having a breakdown and discussed me with a friend of his who had been a doctor in a head injury unit of one of New Zealand's biggest hospitals and she told me to go and see Dorothy Gronwell - she was one of the world's leading neuro psychologists - she diagnosed post concussion syndrome (and in the meantime I had googled concussion as I had thought I am too strong to be going crazy and this must be something to do with concussion.)

I have recovered somewhat but am now reconciled that this is it. I am now 52 - this happened when I was 45. I am 100% certain that the fact that I kept working full time afterwards has effect my long term recovery. If I had my time again I would take a minimum 3 months off work and LIMIT ALL BRAIN STIMULATION (noise sight - everythiing) and give your brain a chance to rest and heal.

My injury has been like a trail of disaster - life litterally fell apart in a year because I did not have the diagnosis or the correct treatment. - Over the last couple of years I have remarried - lomg story that you don't need now)

Anyway PLEASE REST, DON'T WORK FOR A WHILE, BE KIND TO YOURSELF.

Being kind to yourself is difficult - you can't go down the path of mind over matter and force yourself to continue - that makes it worse. You don't run marathons on a broken leg.

Let us know how your are doing

Lynlee
Lucy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote