View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 09:10 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default It might be thyroid, it might not...

Because for all thyroid issues can do to us, they can also mess up a clear diagnosis. Finding out WHY this is happening isn't as important as TREATING what is happening.

If it were me? I'd be on the phone to my GP and any other docs [likely tho not the Endo as his feelings mite be hurt?] you know and get names! Then see if your insurance includes those neurologists' names in their plan!
See a neuro ASAP, Please! Why? Because your throat is starting to have issues and your vision is being affected!
Most Neuros have waiting periods to get seen [maybe your GP has an 'in' with some neuros?] and when you make the appt get yourself on a cancellation list. That's how I played it when I made my first 'second opinion' appointments [the first neuro was a total loss]..and I got to see competent docs w/in ten days of calling rather than the 6-7 weeks. IF you have a teaching hospital nearby it could be even better...but pick a number two or three doc at the hospital [the #1's are too 'busy' to really pay attention] and get in start getting tested and go from there. Another roundabout way would be to try Rheumatologists. Lots of neuropathy issues overlap in these two fields and that's why it's hard/harder/hardest to diagnose specifics.

As for thyroid? I'm the opposite, I've Hashimotos' non-functiong thyroid. I believe, tho it's not proven, that it too became Hashi's [from hypo-t] shortly after the onset of my immune neuropathy...your swollen feet were key,in that, just like mine - going up 3 sizes with the swelling. Not a fun event at all!

I hope this all helps, and welcome to NT! Keep us all up to date on how things are sorting out, please. Good luck Sue!!!! - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
susanjpullen (11-22-2008)