View Single Post
Old 11-22-2008, 10:56 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim0918 View Post
Yes, I think its true that the DBS is only as good as your best on. For me the symptoms were the dyskinesia and the bradykinesia. I dont have any tremor. With the DBS I don't get the dyskinesia anywhere near what I had before. I was a train wreck prior to the DBS, it was a great help to me. I just can't believe that I still am taking so much medication to get through the day. I guess that it is what it is?? If you have a tremor I think your results will be dramatic! I take comtan 3x a day.

Jim
]Yup, thats what they say, I know though I was asymptomatic for years after mine. I still do not take any PD meds on a regular basis. Balance is my main issue now.

MRI vs CT Scan

A MRI is definitely the preferred imaging technique to use. The problem is one of liability. Medtronic used to say that a MRI at 1.5 Tesla power or lower was ok. NOw they recommend NO MRI's. There are facilities that still do them. HEck, Dr Starr at UCSF uses a special MRI that gives realtime images to locate is leads. There is no definable problem using a MRI at 1.5 Tesla to do a head scan. It just everyone is afraid of being sued if anything does go wrong.

The median result for a DBS-STN is a 80% increase in "on " time and a 50% reduction in meds. I personally am always on (scary thought no??) and take no meds save one 25/100 every 3 weeks or so for jaw tremor. There is nothing that helps balance although there is an experiemental DBS that targets the PN (PPN?) that seems to give good results.

Charlie
chasmo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lou_lou (11-22-2008)