View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 05:49 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruegger84 View Post
My dad(a nurse) recently tried to convince me that extra vitamin b12 or vitamins for that matter are excreted through the urine. So that this thing about building up your stores is false. please tell me what I can say to my dad to convince him that this is not true, cuz i believe it is not.

Oh yes, and recently I purchased lifefitness' rapid energy chewing gum, that contains vitamin b12, it doesn't go into specifics as to what vitamin b12 is in there, but I'm gonna guess it's cyancobalamin, cuz I mean they rarely ever use methyl. But whatever the case is, it's very convenient for energy on the go, and is better than caffeine for me.
Like water being H2O, B12 absorption is not all one thing.

Our bodies are supposed to have B12 in all of the tissue, over time it get depleted and we begin to have symptoms of low B12.

When we take supplements to restore our levels our bodies can metabolize about 9mg an hour. Above that it's not used and is excreted.

The amount of B12 in our blood when we have the common B12 level tests tell us nothing about the levels in our other tissues.

I have been having B12 replacement for over a decade and only recently have my moons on my fingernails begun to reappear, for any consistent length of time.

It was also several years and pretty hefty amounts of Methylcobalamin lozenges before my peripheral neuropathy went away.

just drea (01-22-2009), lou_lou (12-17-2008)