View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 09:55 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default propylthiouracil and Graves

Hi there

My husband and I both have Graves Disease (we're in the UK, and apparently they don't know of any other couples who have both had Thyroid Storms).

We had our thyroid storms 5 years apart. My husband had a heart attack with his Thyroid Storm, recovered quickly and was put on Carbimazole. He had an alergic response to it, so was changed to propylthiouracil which is a milder form and which he could take.

They also did radioactive iodine on him, which took about 6 months to kick in. He now is hypothyroid due to the radioactive iodine, but only on 100mg Thyroxine a day. He's settled down now and seems to be basically OK, apart from the Thyroid achey legs he gets and tiredness.

I've been on a block and replace programme for 2 years and have had some complications recently (peripheral neuropathy and some other things). I am pushing for an appointment with a Neurologist to sort this out and then will push for a radioactive treatment if I go over-active again.

Looking back, I wish I'd just gone for the radiactive iodine as my husband seems to have had far less side effects, although he had a more dramatic thyroid storm. I got mine treated before I had a heart attack, thank goodness... my TSH was 0.001, whereas they couldn't even find a trace of my husband's TSH.

I hope propylthiouracil works out for you, are you mildy overactive or very much more? If very much more, give some consideration to the radiactive iodine... if milder, it may be worth seeing if a block and replace could tame the tyroid for you.

Very best of luck and a hug

Sue
susanjpullen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote