View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 07:09 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Read "How Doctors Think" and you'll see

This book,written by a doctor, western-trained at that, goes into detail about how doctors think and why they do it. Basically, they are trained from the get-go to think in a linear fashion, asking questions which if answered "yes" point them to another set of questions, and which if answered "no" point them to another set of questions...both of which end up with a single "disease" for which a surgery or Rx can be given. YOU have to get your doc to think outside of this linear box, and at the end of the book, there are some questions you can ask to help your doc do this...assuming, of course, he/she is amenable. Some docs really resent anyone remotely questioning their reasoning. I can't remember all the questions but here are the ones I remember:

could my symptoms be caused by anything else?
what other diseases/conditions share some or all of these symptoms?
is there an alternative treatment/surgery we could discuss? (including doing NOTHING-sometimes the treatments are worse as we all know...)

I cannot remember the name of the author as I got this book at our library some time ago.

Along this line, I couldn't help but notice that at our last appt. with one of the neuros we see, he pulled out this big notebook left by one of his pharma reps for the new drug he wanted us to try (we never did try it...) At any rate, lo and behold, in that notebook was the SAME type of yes/no line of questioning with the arrows pointing one way or another depending on the answer, all of which arrived at the course of action involving an Rx. Makes one wonder who really designs the curriculum at the medical schools...
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote