View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 01:45 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default I have fought the battle of the bulge all my life.

Hi.

I've never visited this forum before (at least I don't think I have but you'll have to forgive me because I'm 61 and I don't remember ANYTHING!!! lol).

I usually go on the Social chat, the computer forums, and the PN Boards.

But I said "you've lost a lot of weight, why not go and see how other people are doing". So that's why I'm here.

I have been on this weight loss journey ever since I'm 12 and started to eat for comfort.

I didn't have to eat, I could have NOT EATEN, I could have drank, did the drug thing...but no, my comfort zone was food.

I can remember being alone in front of my tv in my bedroom with all my chips and dips, and party mix, and cupcakes and yodels and whatever else I could get my hands on, and ever single night I would just sit and watch tv and vegetate in front of the tv in my bedroom.

I was quite big way back then. I reached an all time high of 300 or so when I was about 45 or so. I was very miserable.

I had severe problems with my son's behavior (we are no longer in contact). and that's how I coped.

It took a visit to the nutritionist. It took me getting diabetes (that didn't even make me eat healthy, because I wasn't ready).

But several years ago I joined the ACCORD program at Cornell and I saw a nutritionist (me and hubby both), and I actually got educated on what goes into my body, (what's good and what's not good).

Once I got the light bulb moment, there was no turning back.

I gave up red meat a long time ago, but I still was not eating correctly. I didn't move either. I didn't exercise.

It took me to be in my 50's before I (I guess you can call it maturity), well I just don't know, but I got the message.

I lost over 100 lbs. I look much better (except that many of my over-weight friends think I'm too thin) and that's not possible because you can't weigh what I weigh and be thin. It's not logical. My doctors at Cornell think I weigh what I weigh because of my bone structure.

I don't think I can ever get down to weigh less than 160 because of my body structure, frame and bone density but I really don't care.

My diabetes is under control (I reversed it in my eyes). I walk every day, and I lift 3 lb weights.

I am very lucky in that I don't get cravings for sweets or anything like that.

I don't eat sugar, I use light salt, and I eat live stuff.

I do a plant based diet. And I grow my own sprouts which is the easiest and cheap thing in the world to do. I adore salads with colorful things in them. I use extra virgin olive oil as a dressing. Just a bit but it works.

And I do eat eggs, and my cholesterol is just fine. Maybe it's because I don't eat red meat.

I take a lot of supplements, and the big one I take is Methyl B-12. I have diabetic neuropathy and this supplement stopped it in its tracks.

Believe me I know about stress and how a person can turn to food when under stress. I did this most of my life.

But I don't do it anymore. I would rather be healthy and imagine what my nutrients are doing in my body, then go and have a cheesburger and fries.

I believe (in my case), I changed the way I view food.

took me some time, believe me.

I look completely different now than when I was in my 40's. Most people dont' even recognize me. I don't care.

When you have weighed what I used to weigh, and worn a dress size 24 1/2, and now that I can wear a size 12, well to me, it's a no-brainer.

I don't want my diabetes to get worse. Thankfully I don't smoke or drink. I have friends who do and they cannot stop.

But food was my drug of choice.

I just had my lunch...Grilled Chicken on a bed of sprouts, grape tomatoes, some romaine and it was heavenly.

I eat grilled salmon, or tofu and veggies. I do not miss the Pizza, the eating in front of my tv every night, etc.

I had to really take stock of what I was doing.

Initially I made one single change. I stopped eating after 7 p.m. I did this for 4 years.

How ironic that now my diabetes has changed and to keep it stable I have to have a big of something before I go to bed at night. This took some taking used to but I said to myself:

"Hey, if it's good for your body, then you do it".

I'm re-learning food, and what affect it has on the body.

And I'm now 61.

I'm still learning.

And if I can do it, believe me, ANYBODY CAN.

So I wish all of my fellow posters a Happy and Healthy Thanksgiving.

And guess what I did today (FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE). I baked a pumpkin pie.

But I just tweaked the recipe a bit.

Egg Beaters instead of eggs. Splenda instead of sugar. And fat free evaporated milk.

It smells wonderful and we'll be eating this until the pie is done. Next year I might make another.

It's an indulgence but it won't be a bad one because I found a way to still have pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving and not make it a gazillion calories.

HERE'S HOPING YOU ALL HAVE A NICE HOLIDAY.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (11-30-2008), Fancylady_2006 (11-29-2008), froglady (11-26-2008), Jomar (11-26-2008)