View Single Post
Old 11-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithS View Post
I know. I'm aware of the 5-month waiting period for SSDI benefits. Following the 5-month waiting period for SSDI benefits, there is an additional 24-months waiting period for Medicare benefits.

Some people have to wait more than 2-3 years for the their SSDI application to be approved. But, they should receive back-pay for the remainder of those months. No matter how quickly or slowly approval takes, however, there will be no payment for the 5-month waiting period.

I suspect that the 29 months that you are referring to is regarding Medicare benefits, not SSDI benefits.

~ Faith
Yes, for medicare. Once you are approved for medicare, under the age of 65, some people have to wait up to 24 months to be approved for SSDI. It's already been established that they are disabled but they have to go through the ridiculous process of waiting this 24 month period to establish they are really disabled. It's an antiquated process of investigating fraudulent claims. Once the claim is investigated, processed, then you wait another 5 months to receive your first check.

There is a bill in the house and senate to phase out this 24 month waiting period. We have been working with other disability organizations to get this bill passed.

We (NMSS Advocacy Group) will be going to Capitol Hill again in March 2009 to meet with our Legislators to work on this.

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
FaithS (11-28-2008)