View Single Post
Old 11-28-2008, 04:04 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

When testing for ataxia (which I have - truncal ataxia especially severe though I have a more widespread ataxia as well) - anyway, the only direct testing for my ataxia I have is watching me walk/stagger around. They stand right behind me so they can grab me (no proprioception).

I don't think there is a particular test beyond the usual nerve studies or whatever else is relevant for the cause of the ataxia etc - the way I walk (bent forward 45 degrees from my hips) is just a function of my nerve damage so I can't see the point in tests for my ataxia. The ataxia is just a symptom of the lack of proprioception.

It's a bit like seizures. They ask for a description of my seizures, then do EEGs (epilepsy since birth). They don't test my seizures themselves (no idea how they would do that), as that is just part of my wonky EEG, they are just a symptom really. at least that's the way I see it and I think that ataxia is the same. Visualize, then test for the cause.

I fall when I have my eyes open - they have long since given up asking me to shut them ! I also have a lot of motor damage with my neuropathy, especially from my knees down (foot drop plus club feet caused my my motor damage).

hth

raglet
Raglet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote