View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 07:11 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaxterTheBunny View Post
I thought that most attorneys will tell you to file your claim first and if you are denied, then come to them. That most SSDI attorneys only take you if you've been denied.

Is this not true?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rgirl
According to the information I have recently received, having an attorney from the beginning won't hurt.
I think, from what I've read on various MS boards, that attorneys vary in how they handle things. Some attorneys will take you from the beginning, and do a good job of helping you through the process. Others prefer to wait, possibly because they can recoup a higher fee by then.

My personal experience was that I had a consultation appointment with a para-legal at a law firm that handles only disability cases. I was not impressed with that particular firm, because it appeared that, although they would take from the beginning, that they did not appear to plan be very pro-active in doing much to help, other than calling to remind me about deadlines. Well, humph. I can read mail from SSA just as well as they can, and I can complete forms at the appropriate times.

I ended up choosing to file without an attorney (he was the only disability attorney in our yellow pages), and was approved the first time with no denials. I would have had to pay the attorney almost $200 if their firm had been involved, which isn't a lot, but I'd rather keep the money if I can do it myself.

On the other hand, if you are able to find an attorney that truly wants to help you to succeed in your claim quickly, it could be worth not having to push through denials and appeals.

~ Faith
Began receiving SSDI 11/2008
FaithS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote