View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 09:29 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Carrie,

I too keyboard for a living (stenographer/court reporter). I love my job. You're going to have problems. TOS and keyboarding is not good. I can't think of a job that would be easy with TOS, though. Most TOSer can't work because of their symptoms and the condition TOS can put you in. Self employed TOSer may have a better shot at keeping their job. Before TOS I used to drive anywhere in Kentucky my clients would request. Well, after TOS I had to give up driving long distances pretty quick. I don't report for federal court anymore. I don't take jobs that are over an hour and a half travel time, one way. I didn't take all day jobs for many years. I can do that now. I did make changes in the way I do things. I closed my office down and moved my office into my home. definitely something I didn't want to do. But you know, God has taken care of me in spite of my fool self. I started getting calls for more local work. Income has changed but not drastically. you're probably thinking more about you not being able to provide service to your clients right now than the actual potential loss of income, but sorry to say things will likely change with both for a while.

During this period of trying to figure out what to do, explore all options, even being off keyboards for recovery, either with surgery or no surgery. I wasn't in as much pain when I tried to not work for a short while. I've struggled and suffered and stressed my profession to the end of its rope and fell flat on my face many times, but I'm still working. Definitely challenging. After 8 years I'm still working. I thank God for that. I have improved and it has gotten a lot easier, but never a day without the reality of TOS surfacing. I would work one problem out only to be faced with a couple more problems.

Your condition may require surgery. I don't know. Some surgeries are successful. Some are not. Serious things to think about. You're family and children will have to help you though this. I've found writing a list of "Things to Do" gets things done around here better than me waiting for everyone to do what I want them to do, or do what they're supposed to do. They can't read your mind nor will they know how to do things if you don't tell them.

There are some good tips on this forum. I'm being very open and honest with this forum. Hopefully we can all benefit and find comfort in support from others who suffer so much with TOS. I know I have.

I look forward to hearing from you.
(Broken Wings) is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
astern (11-30-2008), Jomar (11-30-2008)